sábado, 31 de marzo de 2012

Starting at bilingual school Lancaster

My first weeks in Cali I had been hoping and praying for a paying JOB- particularly a job teaching English to students somewhere in Cali. Before you knew it, I got connected with the director of a bilingual school called Lancaster (thank Jesus for that). Walking into a school where there was no AC, all classes were held outdoors, the power was going out in mid-conversation, and the school had no internet access because a kid had just HACKED the system, I knew that working here would be QUITE an experience. As I spoke with the director, he told me that they needed me to be the "communication person" who would be sending emails/making phone calls in English. I was soon "officially hired"-although nothing is REALLY OFFICIAL here folks- and the director told me to arrive early Monday to begin.
So I arrive at the school Monday morning and the director looks at me with a STRAIGHT FACE and says WE HAVE A PROBLEM... WE NEED YOUR HELP. I was thinking the power went out again or something along those lines but I was wrong. The director explained that their English teacher had just gotten into a motorcycle accident and they needed me to TEACH all of his classes for 2 weeks until he recovered. This couldn't have come at a more PERFECT TIMING... I had just arrived in Cali looking for an English teaching job, and their English teacher is out for 2 weeks and they need me ASAP. Really?
The very next thing you know I am supposed to teach 2nd, 4th, 9th, and 10th grade English classes. Of course, nothing is official is Colombia so I was teaching a lot more than just English. I could go on and on about my experience with each of the grade levels, but for the sake of giving the BEST example, I will stick to the 2nd graders...So the 2nd graders were adorable when I first walked in to the class with the administrator. With smiling faces, they all got up and sat down at the same time, saying "Good morning teacher" in unison. I felt the love, until the administrator, who was standing right next to me, left the classroom. Then things got kinda crazy. Out of nowhere, these little "angels" started throwing stuff, screaming, and hitting each other. A few girls in the class either started to whine or to cry. Some desks in the class started falling over (which were all kinda old in the first place). I even saw a few kids sneak out of the class, claiming they were "going to the bathroom", but after 15 min gone, I got what they were doing. More than half the time, I couldn't here myself speak. But somehow...somehow... things got a little better over the next couple of days. I could not resist the cute, smiling faces of the kids every morning I arrived at the school. Have a look for yourself (see pic below).
<English teacher, kids, and me.




< Me at the school (note: Colombian flag in back)

1 comentario:

  1. Moooshii!! It sounds like you are having an AMAZING experience!! I am so proud of everything that you are doing and learning. It is amazing to see God working in your life and opening new connecting paths every day. I can't wait to read more about your adventures!!

    Te quiero mucho, sigue gozando!

    -Meloo

    P.S.: Your writing is great, I can hear your voice in every sentence!

    ResponderEliminar