sábado, 10 de marzo de 2012

Getting connected at Javeriana

Before you knew it, I started my research at La Javeriana. I soon got to know the rest of the group, who were all very friendly. I became the closest with one friend I met in particular, Paula, who was basically a big sister that was always inviting me places and taking/picking me up from the university. She was abs GREAT.
 <My first friend in Cali lol.


Most of my time went either to the research itself or group meetings for the design of the intervention. I really enjoyed my time doing both of these things because they increased my understanding and knowledge about HIV. This was true even when things got COMPLICATED such as in the very first day of research, the building's energy went out twice and I lost my work twice that day. This was my FRIENDY welcome to and from La Javeriana (along with all those wandering peacocks lol).
After the first week at La Javeriana, I decided to branch out and see what type of things I could get involved in at the university. Being a very active person that I am, I wanted to get involved with at least one activity per day. Next thing you know, I was taking classes in: tennis, wood sculpture, jewlery making, photography, and guitar. The best part was that it was all FREE. I knew I wanted to take advantage of my time at the university, and this I DEFINITELY did in going to each of these classes.




< In my jewlery making class
      < Also in jewlery making class 





< In (and with) my guitar class





< In my wood sculpting class



During my second week at La Javeriana, my research director suggested that I attend a class called PUBLIC HEALTH 3 (or Salud Publica 3 if you want to get technical). I agreed that this would be a great experience for me and attended my first class shortly thereafter. As soon as I walked into the class, I realized I was in a class solely for MEDICAL STUDENTS, hence the fact that they were all wearing their SCRUBS. I tried not to let that bother me, even though I was clearly the NEW girl without any scrubs. As I listened into the class, I realized how much I was going to learn about the Colombian healthcare system and about how to formally speak Spanish. Two in one? Not a bad deal.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario