sábado, 18 de febrero de 2012

Arriving in Cali

Looking outside my airplane window once I landed in Cali, I was EXCITED and READY and ANXIOUS all at once.  I knew that this would be the beginning of a new chapter of my life.  At the airport, Fabiola (mother) and Gisella (daughter) picked me up. With big smiling faces and a sign that said MONICA, we quickly found each other. As we drove through the city to the house, Fabiola and Giselle did an amazing job of showing/guiding me through me the city. I also quickly learned of the DOs/DONTs of Cali, given that it has its own dangers and risks. Once we arrived at the house, I noted that location of the house was very convenientally located near a park, mall, grocery store, and university. The house itself reminded me of the typical Colombian house design and decoration. It had an amazing DECK upstairs with a nice view of the nearby mountains. It was great.






< The front of the house


 
^                               House balcony                        ^



To top things off, I would have my VERY OWN bedroom and bathroom with a view of the city. I LOVED it.

 < My room

After leaving my suitcases at the house, Fabiola, Giselle, and I went to a very colonial part of Cali, called San Antonio, for some Colombian COFFEE and dessert. As soon as we arrived there, I was IN LOVE. At the top of a steep hill, was the Cathedral of San Antonio which had a spectacular view of the city. Aside from all the adorable small shops and restaurants, San Antonio was swarmed with ARTISANS selling their crafts and jewlery. There were also many FOODSTANDS selling typical Caleno foods.
Catherdral of San Antonio                                     View of Cali from San Antonio


I also caught a few minutes of the CUENTEROS, which are the city's storytellers who can go on telling stories for a few hours a night. There were a good couple hundred people gathered there listening at laughing at the stories they heard.

< @ Cuenteros

When we got back home, I immediately dropped in my bed and fell asleep. With all the travels and activity that day, I thought I would sleep until late...late...the next morning. I thought this would be a great way to welcome Cali the next morning. Well, I was wrong. About 6am that next morning I felt a strong shake, one that I could not distinguish right away. As I heard people's voices outside screaming and talking out loud, I realized that I was in the middle of (my first ever) EARTHQUAKE. By the time I was fully aware of what was happening, it had passed.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario